Saturday, March 04, 2006

God is Everywhere. . . . . Today


Let me frame my state of mind before you read the rest of this post.

I am suffering from a terrible cold right now. Thank goodness for my wonderful wife, who bought me a healthy supply of Nyquil, Sudafed and Airborne (the last item something recommended by none other than my mom!).

As I sat in my study, awaiting the end of my upper respiratory malaise, I came to an important realization: God is everywhere. . . today.

Early this afternoon, as I lay on my couch listening to Neil Young play on my Ipod and waiting for the Sudafed to take effect, I was startled to life by the sound of my doorbell. My wife and kids were out at a soccer game, and I had been left to stew in my own upper-respiratory misery.

When I opened the door, two men dressed in suits promptly thrust a leaflet into my hands and welcomed me to attend a Baptist church a few blocks from my home. Even after I told them I am a Catholic and already have a church, they continued their spiel and left me with a promotional flyer (I angrily tossed it into the garbage after I closed the door on the two suits).

As you read this post, keep in mind that I am not feeling that well, OK!?

Across the pond, Tony Blair is under fire for invoking the Judgement of God in his Iraq policies yesterday as well. Europeans pride themselves on their secularism, so a British Prime Minister evoking God is causing quite a stir in the UK.

In Missouri, Resolution Number 13 of the 193rd Assembly states “we stand with the majority of our constituents and exercise the common sense that voluntary prayer in public schools and religious displays on public property are not a coalition of church and state, but rather the justified recognition of the positive role that Christianity has played in this great nation of ours, the United States of America.”

And in Kentucky, (which I drove through yesterday, cold and all), a politician is surveying his peers to determine whether they have accepted Jesus as their savior.

There is backlash to tall of this God stuff, of course. Places like Daily Kos show a little hostility, in homage to the secularism of center-left Europe (or Centre Left Europe, as the Europeans would title themselves).

So God is everywhere today. For better of for worse. . . .



No comments: